America’s Watershed Initiative is a collaboration that seeks solutions for meeting the multiple demands placed on the vast and complex Mississippi watershed system by integrating issues, partners and ideas at the full watershed scale.
America's Watershed seeks to build and implement a vision based on collaboration and mutually beneficial outcomes in contrast to single purpose advocacy. It builds upon strong leadership present in many tributary watersheds.
America's Watershed also seeks to link and augment these efforts, creating a broader partnership that can serve as a unified voice for the whole system, and support the effective resolution of issues that span multiple regions—issues such as energy, transportation, water quality and floodplain management.
Key outcomes include:
- Build recognition among regional and national leaders about the importance of the watershed and the need for integrated management.
- Establish an enduring, public-private facilitating entity to connect existing institutions and stakeholders and harness the best science in service of a shared vision and more integrated management of the watershed.
- Develop and report on measures that indicate progress toward achieving the sustainable management and system-wide health of America’s Watershed.
- Elevate local and regional projects that demonstrate effective collaboration and integrated strategies that help achieve system-level objectives.
- Network with river commissions and similar entities in North America and globally, establishing America’s Watershed as a hub for sharing knowledge and best practices related to the management of large rivers and their watersheds.